ENG201 Assignment 1 Solution - Business and Technical English Writing
Question 1: -
Xelleration Software House
86, Main Boulevard Gulshan-e-Ravi
Lahore, Pakistan 54500
November 17, 2011
ABC Software Company
05 First Floor Hafeez center,
Main Boulevard, Gulberg III
Lahore, Pakistan 54000
Dear Customer Relations:
I am a systems engineer at Xelleration Software House developing a new client-server net database system for two non-profit corporations.
My team is considering using your new release of Omega Database Plus 1.0 as a key part of the system. If we incorporate your product into our design, our clients will need to purchase at least a total of 140 copies your software. vu zs
We have read promotional material and are very interested in using your product. We need, however, the answers of the following questions before we can decide whether or not to use Omega Database Plus:
- Are you still planning to release the Omega Database Plus Version 1.0 on September 19, 2012?
- What LAN environments will your product support?
- Will your product support PGP encryption?
Hafiz Umair Ghani
Senior System Engineer
Question 2: -
- If I would have known about the party, I would have gone to it.
If I had known about the party, I would have gone to it.
- I never would of thought that he’d behave like that.
I never would have thought that he’d behave like this.
- Its going to be sunny tomorrow.
It’s going to be sunny tomorrow.
- Poetry isn't dead it's alive and well.
Poetry isn’t dead; obstinate, it’s alive and well.
- I look forward to meet you.
I am looking forward to see you.
Q1. The following is an example of an inappropriate resume. Improve this in a way that makes it presentable to the readers:
1515 Ravi Lane
Nishtar Road Lahore
My goal is to become associated with a company where I can utilize my skills and gain further experience while enhancing the company’s productivity and reputation.
Unilever Pakistan (2012–2017) Sales Representative
• Expand sales by 400%.
• Receive company’s highest sales award four years in a row.
• Develop a training course.
Arbor Shoes (2008–2012) National Sales Manager
• Increase sales from $50 million to $100 million.
• Double sales per representative.
• Suggest new products.
PEL Lahore, Pakistan (2005–2008) District Sales Manager
• Increase regional sales.
• Manage 250 sales representatives.
• Made training course for new recruits — speeding profitability.
Education: B.A. (Business Administration and Computer Science) (2000-2004) UMT Lahore.
Interests: Southbridge Board of Directors, running, gardening, carpentry, Computers, going to clubs, playing the flute.
References: Will be furnished on demand.
Q2. Keeping in mind the principle of conciseness, revise the following sentences to state their meaning in fewer words. Avoid the use of passive voice, repetition and vague phrases
Sr. No. Wordy Sentence Concise Form
For example: Working as a pupil under someone who develops photos was an experience that helped.
me learn a lot. Working as a photo technician's apprentice was an educational
1. During that time period, many car buyers preferred cars that were pink in color and shiny.
in appearance. During that period, many car buyers preferred pink or shiny cars.
2. The microscope revealed a group of organisms that were round in shape and peculiar in nature. The microscope revealed a group of peculiar, round shaped organisms.
3. The politician talked about several of the merits of after-school programs in his speech. The politician touted after-school programs in his speech.
4. Our Website has made available many of the things you can use for making a decision on the best dentist. On our website many things are available to make a decision on the best dentist.
5. On several different occasions, the manager of human relations met with the employees to ascertain whether or not they were in agreement with the company’s policies in regard to
Expence reports. The manager of Human Relations met with employees on three different occasions to discuss expense report policies.