Second Claim Paragraph
The debate about gun control is often centered around [choose one: the second amendment/self-defense/crime control/violence.] One example of this can be found in [describe an event, law or fact related to this facet of the gun control debate.]
Additionally, gun control laws regulate the [choose one: sale/possession/modification/use] of firearms by civilians. This impacts [describe who or what this branch of gun control impacts and how.]
- The United States has a pervasive gun culture stemming from the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution which states that "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
- The United States has the highest per capita and total number of guns in the world.
- Gun control is hotly debated because it involves issues of violence as well as issues of personal defense.
- Those who support stricter gun control laws believe that firearms should be more regulated by governmental entities, while those who support fewer gun control laws believe that such measures take away basic rights and securities.
- Those impacted by gun control laws include all citizens who wish to own a personal firearm for self-defense, sport hunting or collecting.
- Specific gun control measures include background checks and limitations on types of firearms and ammunition that may be legally purchased by citizens.
ProCon.org Information about Gun Control
JustFacts.com Resources on Gun Control
Atlantic.com Guide to Gun Laws in America and Worldwide
The article presents an argument for gun control. The author argues that a gun registration system will reduce Canadian gun-related crime, deaths, and accidents. Particular focus is given to the registration of long guns, such as shotguns and rifles. Gun registration is compared to laws...
A letter to the editor is presented about U.S. gun control and the connections between gun violence, U.S. firearm legislation , and firearm ownership in the U.S., in response to the article "The Truth About Mass Shootings and Gun Control" by Benjamin Domenech in the February 2013 issue.
The article comments on the decision of Georgia to allow guns wherever an individual might have banned them, the failure of legal efforts to require parents to keep guns unload in locked cabinets, and the various ways American can buy guns without much restrictions.
The article presents general information regarding gun control. The author reviews the history of Canadian firearms legislation. Particular focus is given to the nation's gun registry program which some see as limiting personal privacy and freedom and which others view as a valuable aid to law...
Announces that all unlicensed firearms buyers in the United States will undergo an instant national criminal background check through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) following the Brady act expiration on November 30, 1998. Estimated number of checks that will be conducted each year;...
The article focuses on gun control rules of the U.S. Supreme Court in response to handgun ban in Chicago, Illinois. It states that if the rules on keeping and bearing arms will not allow the instant handgun ban, it may lead to a change to less-restrictive laws which require registration and...
The article reports that the mayor of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania lost re-election for the post to Mayor-elect Darren Brown due to his initiative to include the city as a member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
The article discusses the causes afflicting the American gun control debate and to offer a possible remedy. According to the authors, the debate has been marked by two misconceptions; one relating to what the debate is all about, and the other on how the citizens shall discuss when they are...
The article presents comments on the article related to gun violence in Mexico that was published in "Time" magazine on April 20, 2009. It states that the magazine writer complains about the one-sidedness in the gun control debate, but also gave one side of the issue which is for more gun...